Have you ever opened a bottle of wine only to have a few sips left over? Yeah, we haven't either but we've heard that it happens. Or maybe you opened a few bottles early for a special occasion, and some of your guests never made it? That's more realistic. Either way, it has come to our attention that many people find themselves with leftover wine. So what do you do with it?
You could just, you know, drink it, but if you are looking for other ideas, there are plenty of other things you can do with leftover wine. Here are a few ideas:
- Make a vinaigrette. Wine is a great ingredient for vinaigrettes. It adds flavor and acidity, and it can help to keep the dressing from separating. To make a wine vinaigrette, simply whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and a splash of wine. You can also add other ingredients, such as herbs, garlic, or shallots.
- Deglaze a pan. If you're cooking meat or vegetables, you can use wine to deglaze the pan. This will help to release the flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pan and add them to your sauce. To deglaze a pan, simply add a splash of wine to the hot pan and scrape up the browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- Make a marinade. Wine is a great ingredient for marinades. It helps to tenderize meat and add flavor. To make a wine marinade, simply combine wine, vinegar, oil, herbs, and spices. You can then marinate meat, fish, or vegetables for several hours or overnight.
- Add it to a soup or stew. Wine is a great addition to soups and stews. It adds flavor and depth, and it can help to reduce the acidity of the dish. To add wine to a soup or stew, simply stir it in during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Make a sangria. Sangria is delightful and is perfect to practice now for summer coming. It is made with wine, fruit, maybe some spirits, and spices. Tons of recipes online, but we'll be sharing our favorites soon. The best sangrias start with great wine.
- Freeze it. If you don't think you'll be able to use up your leftover wine within a few days, you can freeze it. To freeze wine, simply pour it into ice cube trays and freeze. You can then use the wine cubes in cocktails, smoothies, or sauces.
If you happen to find yourself with leftover wine, don't panic, it is ok. We won't judge you. Use it to make something delicious!