Donuts and Wine: A Match Made in Heaven
Who doesn't love donuts? And who doesn't love wine? I guess if you weren't into wine, you probably wouldn't be on this site...
Well, as it turns out, these two delicious treats can actually go together quite well. In fact, there are a few specific wine varietals that pair perfectly with certain types of donuts.
Here are a few of our favorite pairings:
- Glazed Donut + Riesling: The sweetness of the glaze pairs perfectly with the fruity flavors of Riesling.
- Vanilla Frosted Donut + Gewürztraminer: The vanilla and spice of the donut are complemented by the floral and fruity notes of Gewürztraminer.
- Chocolate Donut + Cabernet Sauvignon: The rich chocolate flavor of the chocolate cake style donut is balanced by the acidity and tannins of Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut + Zinfandel: The cinnamon and sugar of the donut are enhanced by the bold flavors of Zinfandel.
- Boston Cream Donut + Moscato d'Asti: The sweetness of the donut is balanced by the light and refreshing flavors of Moscato d'Asti.
Of course, these are just a few of the many possible pairings. I mean, have you been to really great donut shop lately? Like the Primo's in the pic, the selection of happiness is endless! Experiment with different types of donuts and wines until you find a combination that you love - or maybe had a bit too many donuts.
Bonus tips for pairing donuts and wine:
- Consider the sweetness of the donut: If the donut is very sweet, you'll want to choose a wine that is not too sweet. A dry wine will help to balance out the sweetness of the donut.
- Consider the flavor profile of the donut: If the donut has a strong flavor, such as chocolate or cinnamon, you'll want to choose a wine that has complementary flavors. For example, a chocolate donut would pair well with a Cabernet Sauvignon, which has chocolatey notes.
- Eat and Drink what you like: Throw the rules out with the trash! Be a mad scientist and feel free to experiment until you find a combination that you love.